Charles E. Heinonen, Code Enforcement Officer

Phone: (207)827-3981
Fax: (207)827-3979

Mailing address:

City of Old Town
150 Brunswick Street
Old Town, Maine 04468

Office is located in City Hall, 150 Brunswick Street

Hours of Operation:

8 – 4:30 Monday - Friday

Note: As the Code Enforcement Officer's duties require him to be out of the office it is not always possible to reach him during all working hours (8 – 4-:30).  It is better to call and make an appointment or leave a message so he can return a call and an appointment can be scheduled.

The office closes for all legal (federal and state) holidays.

Key Services


Building Permits

Electrical Permits

Plumbing Permits

Flood Hazard Development Permits

Timber Harvesting Permits in Resource Protection Areas

Site Plan Review Sec 104.24

Special Exceptions Sec 108

Zoning Amendments Sec 109

Zoning Ordinance

Subdivision Ordinance

Street Acceptance Ordinance

City of Old Town Zone Map
(This file takes awhile to load.)


The Code Enforcement department is responsible for encouraging safe, sound and orderly residential and industrial growth for the community which is consistent with the ordinances of the City.  The department assists in the development, maintenance and enactment of the Cities Plan of development.  The Code Enforcement Officer provides inspections and issues Building Permits, Plumbing Permits, Electrical Permits, Sign Permits, Timber Harvesting Permits, Flood Hazard Development Permits, etc.  It is the goal of the department to guide people through the maze of federal, state and local rules and regulation to a satisfactory end and in a timely manner,

Affiliated Boards and Committees

Planning Board



Adopted codes

International Building Code, 2000 Edition

International Residential Code, 2000 Edition

NFPA - 101, Life Safety Code, 2000 Edition

NFPA - 1 Fire Prevention Code, 2000 Edition

National Electrical Code

Maine State Plumbing Code


Copies:     Cost of paper copies of the Zoning
                 Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance,
                 Zoning Maps, etc. will be determined
                 by the city manager.

Note:        The zoning and subdivision
                 ordinances can be found on the